Thursday, February 21, 2008

Living in US of A

This is my personal opinion.

I still don't understand the hype in living in US. I wasnt excited when I first entered US. Let me try to do a quick comparison -
The weather in US is good and I get to "feel" summer, spring, autumn and winter. In India its only hot, hotter and hottest.
Roads are clean, people do follow traffic rules, less pollution, people mind their own business, you follow a schedule for every possible thing, people are punctual. If you wanna visit a friend/relative, you first call them (fix an appointment) and then go. In India, I've only seen clean roads in the morning, after it was cleaned. Otherwise people dump trash, spit etc. One's problem is everyone's problem, you cannot live without poking your nose. I can always give a surprise visit to my friend's or relative's house.
If you gift someone, you can be sure you will get something back, people are very straight forward, if its no, it is really a NO. Back in India, its polite to say no if someone offers somethings atleast once and then say yes. And here, if they are offered something its straight Yes or No. People dont offer again if it is a No.

With advance in technology, people spend more time before gameboy, Tv, ipod, computer but very less time with people. Even spending some time with your family is within time limits. You can never walk into your friend's house, if you feel low. I know people who go to the gym, when they are depressed. This technology craze is catching up in India too, still there are people who spend time for their family, visit friends etc.

In India, I was never alone, for lunch, if my friends were on leave and I had no company - I would skip my lunch, every day we meet (9 or 10 friends), weekends we go for movies, otherwise we go on a trip etc. Over here, I can go to a restaurant and eat alone, weekends I watch movies on my computer. There is no trip. I know this is because, this is how I chose to live. I can be a bit outgoing, speak to people, get new friends etc..Will see!

So of now I'm trying to count my blessings....

No comments: